- 16 years in the user experience field, with a unique blend of content creation and strategy, user experience design and research, and a Masters of Human-Centered Design and Engineering (UW HCDE).
- Crafted user experiences for a wide range of technologies and users, from mobile apps to websites, and from consumer audiences to power users.
Experienced in cross-cultural and world-ready content creation, user research, and design.
Unrelenting drive to create experiences that make users’ lives better. Known to be passionate and feisty at times.
Principal UX Writer
Sept 2015 — present
UX Content Developer II
Windows Content Services at Microsoft, Redmond
Nov 2010 – Sept 2015
- Owned all UI text and worked closely with researchers, designers, and project managers to craft the user experience for multiple Windows 8 apps.
- Designed and created web pages, videos, and help topics for communication and media apps (Mail, Photos, etc.), plus the new touch language and new ways of getting around the system. Participated in lab and field research, and analyzed website data to identify which topics to cover.
HCI Research Intern
Microsoft Research Asia, Beijing, China
Jan 2010 – Sept 2010
- Designed a mobile app that used location services to help with learning Chinese.
- Led project’s user research phase, analyzed the results to identify the most promising use case, and then designed the app to address those users’ needs.
- Created low-fi prototype (Balsamiq), led the field study, and contributed to published CHI paper. Axure interactive prototype available.
VillageReach, Seattle, WA
Oct – Nov 2009
- Designed web-application UI to track and analyze health care indicators, for use in developing countries. Created use cases and wireframes focused on efficient data input and analysis.
- Wrote style guide to help US developers better design for users in low-resource environments. Examples of guidance include designing for low resolution monitors and low bandwidth, and keeping default interfaces simple but not being afraid to build in advanced controls that would be useful once people got used to the new system and way of thinking.
User Experience Architect
Entity Green Training, Amman, Jordan
Jun – Aug 2009
- Solo project where I evaluated a stipend distribution system for a refugee training program.
- Using contextual inquiry, heuristics, and iterative user testing, designed and implemented improved reporting system. Assistant now runs report alone, saving several hours a month.
- Delivered recommendation report on wide range of attendance taking and reporting options.
- Published paper at ISCRAM 2010 on teaching user-centered design practices to not-for-profit field workers.
Senior Technical Writer
Speakeasy, Inc., Seattle, WA/Secure Computing Corp., Minneapolis, MN
Jun 2001– Jan 2009
- Created information architecture for an internal knowledge base (help articles). Wrote all content. (Speakeasy)
- To ensure a useful system, required coworkers (my users) to search for articles instead of sending the link. If they didn’t locate the article, I revised search terms until they did. (Speakeasy)
- Wrote all content plans, user documentation, and UI text for the company’s flagship product, a high-end firewall. Partnered with user interface team on interaction design. (Secure Computing)
- Was first non-engineer in company history to win Impact Engineer of the Year award. (Secure Computing)
Department of Human-Centered Design and Engineering, University of Washington
Sept 2007 – Feb 2009
- Taught advanced business writing and oral presentation class. Content include audience analysis, proposals, recommendation reports, elevator pitches, persuasive recommendations, and technical presentations.
M.S. in Human-Centered Design & Engineering, User Centered Design core, University of Washington, Seattle, WA, 2007 – 2010
Graphic Design Level I, School of Visual Concepts, Fall 2012
B.A. in Communication Studies and English (Magna cum laude), Macalester College, St. Paul, MN, 1994 – 1998
wireframing, storyboards, use case scenarios, interactive prototypes, content development
Familiar with CSS, HTML, XML, Balsamiq, OmniGraffle, Axure, Photoshop
Classes, publications, and awards
Write for Doing, Not Reading for Refresh Portland, 15 Nov 2017